1/3 Photos of Spiced Roast Chicken With Fragrant Jasmine Rice
I got this recipe out of a Dish Magazine. It is beautiful! Prep time included time to marinate. I sometimes marinate over night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 cups jasmine rice, washed and drained
- 900 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1CHICKEN: Use kitchen scissors to cut down both sides of the back bone and remove.
- 2Open the chicken out like a book and snip through the wishbone to enable the chicken to lie flat.
- 3Slash the skin several times and place the chicken in a large dish.
- 4Pound the garlic, ginger, chilli and sugar to paste in a mortar and pestle or blend in a small food processor.
- 5Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 6Pour the marinade over the chicken and rub into the meat.
- 7Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours if possible.
- 8Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- 9Heat a little oil in an over proof saute pan over a medium heat.
- 10Take the chicken out of the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the dish.
- 11Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down and allow to brown.
- 12Turn the chicken over and pour over the marinade.
- 13Roast the chicken in the over 50-60 minutes, basting a couple of times during cooking.
- 14Transfer the chicken to a plate and rest, lightly covered, for 5 minutes.
- 15Tip the pan juices into a small pot.
- 16Mix the cornflour with the water and stir into the juices.
- 17Simmer for 2 minutes then add a good squeeze of lime juice and pour into a serving jug.
- 18RICE: Heat the oil in an oven-proof saute pan or pot with a lid.
- 19Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom pods and mustard seeds and gently fry until tender.
- 20Add the rice, stock and salt and bring to the boil.
- 21Cover and place back in the oven for 25 minutes.
- 22Stir the rice once during cooking.
- 23Remove from the oven and sit covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
- 24TO SERVE: Spoon the rice onto a platter.
- 25Cut the chicken into serving pieces and place on top.
- 26Scatter fresh herbs over the chicken and garnish with lime wedges.
- 27Bowls of thick plain yoghurt, roasted chopped peanuts and crispy shallots are nice accompaniments.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Roast Chicken With Fragrant Jasmine Rice
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1130.3
- Calories from Fat 453
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 179.3 mg
- Sodium 2281.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 58.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder