I got this recipe out of a Dish Magazine. It is beautiful! Prep time included time to marinate. I sometimes marinate over night.
- 1 chicken
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 cups jasmine rice, washed and drained
- 900 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 limes
- fresh herb (to garnish)
- CHICKEN: Use kitchen scissors to cut down both sides of the back bone and remove.
- Open the chicken out like a book and snip through the wishbone to enable the chicken to lie flat.
- Slash the skin several times and place the chicken in a large dish.
- Pound the garlic, ginger, chilli and sugar to paste in a mortar and pestle or blend in a small food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and rub into the meat.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat a little oil in an over proof saute pan over a medium heat.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the dish.
- Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down and allow to brown.
- Turn the chicken over and pour over the marinade.
- Roast the chicken in the over 50-60 minutes, basting a couple of times during cooking.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and rest, lightly covered, for 5 minutes.
- Tip the pan juices into a small pot.
- Mix the cornflour with the water and stir into the juices.
- Simmer for 2 minutes then add a good squeeze of lime juice and pour into a serving jug.
- RICE: Heat the oil in an oven-proof saute pan or pot with a lid.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom pods and mustard seeds and gently fry until tender.
- Add the rice, stock and salt and bring to the boil.
- Cover and place back in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Stir the rice once during cooking.
- Remove from the oven and sit covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
- TO SERVE: Spoon the rice onto a platter.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces and place on top.
- Scatter fresh herbs over the chicken and garnish with lime wedges.
- Bowls of thick plain yoghurt, roasted chopped peanuts and crispy shallots are nice accompaniments.