Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 55 mins
In this recipe, two British gastronomic classics are rolled into one: the traditional duo of roast beef & Yorkshire pudding. We love this we have had this recipe from way back when - I think we made it the first year I was here (Christmas 2000.)These are great appetizers! Bon Appetit Magazine.
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs piece beef tenderloin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons oil, reserved from jars
- 1⁄4 cup coarse grain mustard
MINI YORKSHIRE PUDINGS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- PREPARE BEEF:.
- Mix pepper, coriander and allspice in bowl.
- Rub 1 teaspoon oil, then spice mixture all over beef; sprinkle with salt.
- Place beef on baking sheet; let stand 2 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Roast beef until thermometer inserted into center registers 130°F for medium-rare, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let beef stand at least 30 minutes.
- MAKE DRESSING:.
- Mix sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons reserved oil and mustard in small bowl.
- *(Beef and dressing can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool beef, cover and refrigerate. Cover and refrigerate dressing. Whisk dressing before using.).
- MAKE MINI YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS:.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Brush 48 mini muffin cups(each about 1 3/4" diameter)with oil; place muffin pans in hot oven.
- Meanwhile, sift flour and salt into large bowl; make well in center of mixture.
- Add eggs and 1/2 cup milk to well; stir into flour.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup water, whisking until batter is smooth.
- Remove hot muffin pans from oven.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each muffin cup.
- Return pans to oven; bake until puddings are puffed and golden brown around edges, about 12 minutes.
- COOL PANS IN OVEN.
- **(Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover in pans; freeze. Before assembling, uncover and rewarm in 350ºF oven until heated through about 7 mins.)
- Thinly slice beef; cut slices into 2 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch strips & roll strips into cylinders.
- Using finger, push down center of each pudding, creating hole.
- Spoon about 1/4 teaspoon dressing into each.
- Push beef cylinder into hole.
- Spoon 1/4 teaspoon dressing into center of beef.
- Arrange puddings on platter and serve.