Prep 55 mins
Cook 0 mins
I like this with Spiced Broccoli and Tomatoes.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 dried red chili
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In large nonstick saucepan, saute onion for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, dried red chile, and turmeric. Stir fry 1 minute. Add rice and lentils. Stir gently to mix.
- Add boiling water to cover ingredients by 1/2 inch. Bring back to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 45-50 minutes or till liquid is absorbed and rice and letils are tender.
- Remove mixture from heat and let sit, covered, about 5 minutes. Fluff gently with fork.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Very healthy and so tasty. We loved it! I used regular brown rice, one clove of garlic and two tablespoons of olive oil. I'm certainly planning on making it again. Thanks JeriBinNC!
My almost 2 year old LOVED this so this recipe gets an extra point from me, and even his sister reluctantly picked at it. The adults found it a bit bland but okay and it definitely needs the extra seasoning.