Recipe by Derf
Posted on a request, have not tried, but, it says here:"Unite summer harvest veggies with the gloriously fragrant spices and herbs of the eastern Mediterranean. For a simple meze table, or meal of small dishes, serve them with plump olives, piquant cheese and crusty bread. Or offer them as side dishes with grilled or roasted meat, poultry or fish." Mmmmmmmmmm, sounds great!!!from Canadian Living mag.
Top Review by Sharon123
I loved the flavor of the dill, parsley and mint! I halved this recipe and used it to fill half of one large eggplant. This was very good, I did add a small amount of some leftover ginger dipping sauce. I will definately make this agaain, cooking the rice a little longer. Thanks Derf!
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts or 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small eggplants (about 1 lb)
- 7 tomatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 6 mini sweet peppers or 6 cubanelle peppers or 6 banana peppers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces lean ground lamb or 8 ounces lean ground beef
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium high heat, saute pine nuts until slightly darkened,about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add rice, currants, 1 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, sugar, cinnamon, alspice and pepper, stir well.
- Add 2 cups boiling water, reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed but rice is still slightly firm, about 18 minutes.
- Scrape into bowl, let cool.
- Pressing lightly, roll eggplants over work surface to loosen flesh.
- Cut off 1/8 inch thick slice lenghwise from each.
- With spoon, scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch thick walls, set shells aside.
- Chop flesh and slices.
- Core and chop 1 of the tomatoes.
- In skillit, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil over medium high heat, saute chopped eggplant and tomato and remaining salt until eggplant is softened, about 5 minutes, let cool.
- Add to rice mixture along with green onions, parsley, dill and mint, toss with fork.
- Cut 1/2 inch off tops of mini sweet peppers and remaining tomatoes, with spoon, remove seeds and ribs.
- Fill eggplants, peppers and tomatoes with rice mixture, place in roasting pan just large enough to hold veggies snugly.
- Drizzle with remaining oil, 1/2 cup water and lemon juice.
- Cover with lightly greased foil.
- Bake in 400f degree oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake until veggies are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with pan juices spooned over top.
- Variation: Brown 8 oz lean ground lamb or beef in skillet before cooking eggplant, drain off fat.
- Add to filling.