Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fragrant with spices of the Middle East. This would go great with not only Middle Eastern food, but Indian food as well. You can find rose water (an optional ingredient) in Indian/Pakistani grocers, as well as some pharmacies.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- In large saucepan, cook onion in olive oil until tender. Stir in rice and spices. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice begins to turn golden.
- Pour in broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Do not lift lid while cooking.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes undisturbed.
- Then add the chopped spinach, raisins, and almonds, stirring, and fluffing with a fork. Sprinkle with rose water, and fluff a little bit more, if desired.
I thought this was just okay. It was lacking in salt. but that was an easy fix. I did skip the rose water... and it sure did taste like it was missing something. i think i'll have to try this again once i buy some rose water... and i will re-rate.
Skipped the spinach and the raisins, but included the rose water and this turned out very well. I couldn't single out any one taste except for the cinnamon. The next time I will cut the cinnamon down to 1/8 tsp. Thank you Sue for a nice, spicy rice!
This rice recipe is really flavorful and very good indeed. I made exactly as directed (using chicken broth) for 2 servings. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, as it's mostly spices that are already in your pantry. It's also very simple to prepare. Our roses are not in bloom so we did without the rose water. Served with Recipe #321734 and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)