Recipe by TGirl,RN
This recipe comes from the Spring 2003 issue of "Diabetes and You"--exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 1 fat. SOAK RICE FOR 2 HOURS PRIOR TO MAKING THIS RECIPE--RINSE AND DRAIN WELL BEFORE COOKING
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
A true rice treat for a rice lover! I have made this many times(the only change being that I use vegetable broth with onions as a substitute for the chicken broth) and it's always been gone before I know it;)
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced/crushed
- 4 whole cloves (the spice, not garlic)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (seperate from the tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon blanched slivered almonds or 1 tablespoon pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and saute onion and garlic until tender.
- Add cloves and cook for 1 minute.
- Add rice, stir to coat, then add salt, broth, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- In seperate pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add raisins and almonds-heat through.
- Add raisins/nuts to rice, discard cinnamon stick, mix well and serve.