Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Zaarite linked this recipe to a request for spiced rice with raisins. I was surprised it was not yet posted so here it is - stashing in my rice & grains cookbook. From the NYT - 02/24/09. I plan to serve this along side a nice Tandoori chicken. Would also be nice alongside a firey Goan curry.
- 1 onion, finely sliced (large)
- 4 ounces margarine
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 lb peas (fresh or frozen, not dried)
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 hot green chili pepper, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely minced (1/2 inch piece fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup coconut meat, fresh, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, blanched, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander leaves, chopped fresh
- In 2 ounces of margarine saute onions until golden brown.
- Remove onion and add remaining margarine to pan. When it is hot return half of the onion to the pan with rice, peas, raisins, chili, garlic, ginger and cashews. Saute over low heat, stirring constantly, for about one minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt to taste, sugar and boiling water; raise heat and bring to boil. Cook until about 1/2 cup of liquid remains in pan. Lower heat, cover and simmer until rice is cooked.
- Sprinkle with grated coconut, toasted almonds, remaining onion and coriander.