Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious in the summer. You can use rhubarb from later in the season since you are just using the 'essense' of the stalks.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs rhubarb
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups ginger ale
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan; stir over heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boiling point, let boil without stirring about 7 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut rhubarb in small pieces; do not peel.
- Add 3 cups water and spices; simmer over low heat until tender.
- Strain out rhubarb stalks, pressing to release all liquid.
- Discard cooked stalks.
- Add cooled syrup and fruit juices; chill.
- Pour over ice in a pitcher or tall glasses; add ginger ale.
This rhubarb drink is wonderful! The spices add just a little something that makes it special. Only things I did different was since I didn't have a cinnamon stick I added just a little ground cinnamon, and I didn't have whole cloves, I added just a little ground cloves and didn't have mace, so left it out. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us on Zaar.