Recipe by Rich Harrington
Delicious in the summer. You can use rhubarb from later in the season since you are just using the 'essense' of the stalks.
Top Review by Shar-on
This rhubarb drink is wonderful! The spices add just a little something that makes it special. Only things I did different was since I didn't have a cinnamon stick I added just a little ground cinnamon, and I didn't have whole cloves, I added just a little ground cloves and didn't have mace, so left it out. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us on Zaar.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs rhubarb
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups ginger ale
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan; stir over heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boiling point, let boil without stirring about 7 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut rhubarb in small pieces; do not peel.
- Add 3 cups water and spices; simmer over low heat until tender.
- Strain out rhubarb stalks, pressing to release all liquid.
- Discard cooked stalks.
- Add cooled syrup and fruit juices; chill.
- Pour over ice in a pitcher or tall glasses; add ginger ale.