Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 hrs
This is one I'm considering for the holidays. It is originally from "125 Best Vegetarian Crock pot Recipes). The original says this is best in a 3 1/2 quart crock pot because that allows the pears to be submerged. This is served cold so it needs time to chill. Depending on the size of your pears you might need more wine.
- 8 medium pears or 6 large pears
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 orange
- Peel and core your pears. Then cut in half lengthwise. Put them in your crock pot.
- Add the wine (making sure your pears are covered), the sugar, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
- Zest the orange and put all the zest in your crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the pears are tender.
- Chill really well.
This was OK. The flavor or the clove took over. I`m not sure if it was the cloves or the crock pot method or not using lemon that made these a brown color and not a red. I did need to add more wine as it did get cooked down.