Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Light and airy on the inside; crisp on the outside.
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml pumpkin pie spice
- freshly grated nutmeg, a pinch
- 4 large eggs
- 118.29 ml packed dark brown sugar
- 236.59 ml pumpkin puree
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- oil, for coating
- powdered sugar
- pure maple syrup, warmed
- In a big bowl, lightly whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg together.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar together until any lumps are dissolved and well blended.
- Add in pumpkin puree, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla; whisk until smooth; add to the flour mixture and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 200°; heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions; lightly grease it with a pastry brush dipped in a little oil.
- Pour in enough batter just to fill the iron and spread it evenly, then close the waffle iron.
- Cook until the waffle iron opens easily and the waffles are golden brown on the outside and cooked through inside.
- Remove to a platter and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
- Serve waffles sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup.
- *OAMC—waffles can be frozen for 1 month; reheat in a 350° oven until warmed through, about 15 minutes.