Recipe by Pets'R'us
Another Pumpkin Soup, that's all I can say.
Top Review by kiwidutch
"Another pumpkin soup recipe" Pets in this description you DON"T nearly do this recipe JUSTICE!!!!! Hubby made two of these on the same day with a pumpkin each, one is exactly as written and the other he added piri piri to kick it up a notch, he then had visitors to lunch and they not only raved about it but also wanted the recipe. (they ate the non spicy one) I've just been enjoying the spicy one for dinner ( but also had a taste of the other) and guess what I'm taking to work for lunch tomorrow! This is NOT "just another soup" it has buckets of flavour and we are lovin' it !!!! Thanks !!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pumpkin, cleaned and cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- lemon juice
- chopped parsley or coriander, to serve
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in the pan you are making the soup in, fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, add the curry, cumin and cayenne pepper, fry a few minutes more.
- Add the pumpkin and the apple, mix, and then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes.
- I use a hand-held blender to blend the soup but otherwise let the soup cool and blend in the food processor.
- Add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Serve with the parsley sprinkled over, sour cream (or yoghurt) and nice bread.
- For vegetarian use vegetable stock.