Recipe by Chabear01
This is a semi frozen Italian dessert, from "The Lady had Seconds" cookbook. I do not include freezing time in the preparation or cooking times. Be prepared for a rich dessert this is NOT for us calorie watchers.
Toasted pecan crust
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and finely ground
- 3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil. Make Toasted pecan crust: reserve 3/4 cup crumb mixture and press remaining mixture on bottom of pan.
- Mix pumpkin, rum and spices in medium bowl; reserve.
- Heat sugar, water and corn syrup to boiling in medium saucepan, stirring occasionally until sugar is melted; boil, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 248 degrees (firm ball).
- While sugar syrup is cooking, beat egg whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in syrup; continue beating until meringue mixture is room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Beat Whipping cream to stiff peaks in medium bowl. Fold pumpkin mixture into two-thirds of the meringue mixture; fold in half of the whipped cream. Spoon mixture over crust in pan; sprinle with reserved 3/4 cup crust mixture.
- Mix vanilla into remaining meringue; fold in remaining whipped cream. Spoon mixture evenly over second crust, mounding slightly over top of pan; cover loosley with foil and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove from baking pan. Remove foil and cut into squares or slices.
- To Make Toasted Pecan Crust:.
- Mix all crust ingredients in a small bowl and set aside till needed.