Recipe by Aroostook
Feel free to halve the vinegar in this recipe if you want a sweeter version. The longer these set, the better they are!
- 6 cups raw peeled pumpkin (1 1/2 in. cubes)
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves or 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick pumpkin chucks with a fork.
- Combine rest of the ingredients in a sauce pan and boil 5 minutes to make the syrup.
- Add fruit (in batches if necessary) and simmer until pumpkin is slightly tender.
- Spoon hot pumpkin in clean hot pint jars.
- Fill with hot syrup leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- (Prepare more syrup if necessary).
- Seal and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- *If you use whole cloves, spike the pumpkin pieces with them.
- **Try to even out the stick cinnamon among the jars.
- ***This recipe needs to age.
- Best if left.