Recipe by Rhonda *J*
I find i am always keeping my eye out for different Pumpkin dessert recipes to try for Thanksgiving & Christmas(or anytime), rather than just the usual pumpkin pie. I came across this in a Homemakers magazine.I have not yet made it(but will). It sounds impressive looking, yet very easy to make.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups pureed unsweetened pumpkin
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesbrick style cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 cups icing sugar (confectioners)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir flour with baking powder, baking soda,salt& cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350,grease 2- 8 inch round cake pans.
- Combine oil& sugar with electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute, still mixing,add eggs one at a time.
- Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 additions,scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition.
- Stir in pumpkin.
- Scrape equal amounts of the batter into each cake pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes;remove and cool to room temperature on rack.
- For icing: Beat cream cheese until smooth,add molasses and half the icing sugar,mix on low speed until combined.
- Add remaining sugar and mix until combined;increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute or until very smooth.
- To assemble Cake: Cut each layer in half to make 4 layers.
- Spread just enough frosting over bottom layer to cover well.
- Top with second layer,and spread more frosting evenly over that layer,repeat with next layer, top with last layer and remaining frosting,swirling to decorate.