Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The applesauce mixed with the pumpkin makes these bars moist and adds to the flavor, you may frost them if desired :)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar (or 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups pumpkin (cooked or canned)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- set oven to 350 degrees.
- set oven rack to second lowest position.
- grease a 15x10 baking sheet.
- in a bowl, sift all dry ingredients.
- in another bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin and applesauce; mix well.
- stir into the dry ingredients.
- spread into prepared baking sheet.
- bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.
- cut into bars.
Great bars! I made these and frosted them with JamesDean'sGirl's Coffee-Cream Cheese Icing, which was a great combination. I added a cup of Hershey's cinnamon chips to the batter, too. Very moist and pumpkin-y, they definitely would have been fine without frosting (I'm just partial to frosted anything). I upped the spices (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg) just a bit, because I like pumpkin stuff very spiced. I really liked that there was no oil in this recipe, too; I really struggle with adding oil by the cupful to recipes (mental thing, y'know). Very good overall, I'll be making this again!
These were pretty good. The texture was a little odd - not cakey but more like a baked thick pudding. But the taste was a nice blend of flavors. Very pumpkiny but still mild.
These were really easy to make and I enjoyed them! I found them to be like pumpkin bread but in a square! I will definitely make them again!!