Another find in the TOH magazine. Love that it is a full flavored cake that needs only a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon to finish. Serve this cake warm for best results!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (this is additional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed (this is additional)
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well; then beat in molasses.
- Combine flour, baking soda, spices and salt in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the 1 cup of water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to a 9x13" UNgreased baking pan. Sprinkle batter with brown sugar.
- In a microwave, heat 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 c butter, until butter is melted. Carefully pour this mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve WARM. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.