Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb prune (dried plums)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 slices fresh lemon rind (1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Combine the prunes and water in a large saucepan.
- Place the spices and lemon rind in a piece of cheesecloth, tie tightly and drop into the saucepan.
- Cover the pan, bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and stir in the brown sugar and lemon juice.
- Let cool, then store in a glass jar in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove spice bag just before serving.
I have not yet tried this recipe. It sounds wonderful. I bet they are fantastic over hot cereal. I'm going to have this for breakfast tomorrow. new note...i have tried this recipe since my last post. excellent. i've made this, along with the prunes, with apricots, apple, rasins, you name it!! this is a favorite for breakfast. very nourishing. thank you so much for sharing. oh! and i sometimes add a slice or two of ginger root...what i do is add a little water in the morning and as the days go on i add a bit of apple, maybe a handful of rasins...just to strech it a bit until all of the prunes are gone. i find i like a little more 'juice', so i make it with a bit more water and lemon.
These prunes were good, although I found them a bit sweet. Will definitely be making them again, although I will try varying the amount of sugar and/or spices.