Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are absolutely delicious, very good for you, and adapted from a recipe in the book "Cookies at the Academy". These are so fast and easy to whip up, great if you are in a "cookie emergency".
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup chopped pitted prune
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- lemon, glaze
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Stir together the dry ingredients (flour through cloves) to combine thoroughly. Add prunes, stirring well to coat with flour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Cream together butter and sugar, then beat in egg until fluffy.
- Gradually blened in flour mixture. Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- Spread walnuts on a large piece of waxed paper. Shape each portion of dough into a long roll and turn in nuts to coat well on all sides.
- Transfer nut-encrusted rolls to greased baking sheets. Flatten rolls into strips with your fingers until they are about1 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 inch think. Sprinkle strips with any remaining nuts.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of each strip comes out clean and nuts are toasted (15-20 minutes). Let cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle strips with Lemon Glaze. Then cut into 1-inch wide bars on the diagonal. Transfer bars to wire racks to cool completely.
- Lemon Glaze.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioner's sugar and lemon rind. Gradually add lemon juice, stirring until the glaze is smooth and of a good drizzling consistency.