Recipe by Nasseh
These tasty fried potato cakes come from Algeria. (Prep time includes chilling time for the potatoes.)
Top Review by UmmBinat
These were good but the flavor was a bit off for us. Just a tip, don't use too much oil or they may break apart and definitely don't miss the chilling time. I served them with a yogurt dip which went pretty well and ketchup, not so well. Made for 1~2~3 Hits March 2010 ~ It's Not Easy Being Green!!!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel & cut the potatoes into chunks. Boil the potatoes in water until tender then mash them in a large bowl. Mix in the eggs, spices, & cilantro.
- With floured hands, form the mixture into round flat cakes about 3 inches in diameter. Cover & chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan. Fry the cakes on each side until crisp & brown. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve hot.