Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This is a fantastic roast, definitely company-worthy and makes a very pretty presentation. This is a complete meal with the addition of wheat rolls and a salad.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was nice and tender but did not fall apart tender where you can't slice it without it falling apart. You could taste the coriander just slightly. The gravy was full of flavor. One thing I'd do different would be to add more garlic/seasoning in the beginning that was very good. I made this for *Zaar World Tour 4* 2008 round 3 the *Canadian Region* I'm playing on the team *Tastebud Tickling Travelers* Go team go!
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 5 lbs boned rump roast
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- seasoning salt
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 (17 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, heated
- 2 avocados, sliced, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash garlic with seasoned salt. With sharp knife, cut small holes in meat and fill them with garlic mixture. Heat oil in a Dutch oven and brown meat on all sides. Add onions and saute for several minutes. Add spices, seasonings, and tomato paste.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice, and set tomatoes aside. If necessary, add water to the juice to make 1 1/4 cups. Add bouillon cube to juice and heat to dissolve. Add this to meat, cover and simmer for 2 1/4 hours or until almost tender.
- Add tomatoes and and simmer for another 15 minutes or until meat is tender and tomatoes are heated through. Adjust seasonings. Toss rice with heated kidney beans. Transfer meat to heated platter, pour juices over, surround with rice and kindey bean mixture and garnish with avocado slices.