Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Martha Stewart Living.
- 5 pomegranates or 2 1⁄2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- Cut pomegranates in half. Extract juice from seeds with a citrus juicer. Strain into a medium saucepan.
- Add cider, water, cinnamon and ginger. Cook over high heat until simmering, 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 15 minutes. Skim any foam that rises to the surface.
- Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon and ginger. Stir in orange juice. Serve warm.
Very good, thank you. I doubled the recipe and used juice and warmed this in my crockpot on high for 30 minutes, then turned it down to warm. It stayed nice and warm for a few hours as my guests drank seconds and even thirds. Unfortunately, I didn't have any ginger on hand and I omitted it, so I probably missed a lot of the spice, but it tasted just great without it. A keeper. I've already had requests to make it again. Update: I made this again last night, using a different brand of pomegranate juice. It was still good, but the flavor was completely different. It's probably best to make sure you like the flavor of the pomegranate juice before you use it the punch.
Wow another winner Amanda! I loved this warm, tart, spicy fruit drink. It was the perfect foil for the cold day we are experiencing. I made half the recipe and have been sipping it all day. I left the punch simmering on low, all the lovely spices have melded perfectly with the juice. I then garnished the drink with a cinnamon stick and candied ginger. Thanks so much for a new keeper...that tastes as good as it looks.
I made the punch for a picnic and WOW this sure was spicy but very drinkable. Followed the recipe as written choose the pomegranate juice option. The warm temperature of the punch was yum. Thank you AmandaInOz