Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Spiced apple jelly with a pink blush provided by the grenadine syrup. Lovely to give, lovely to eat.
- Cut each apple into 8 pieces (do not core or seed).
- Combine apples and water and spices in heavy, medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until apples are very tender, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 8 hours.
- Line large sieve with triple thickness of dampened cheesecloth; set over large bowl.
- Pour apple mixture into sieve and let drain overnight.
- Measure apple juice and transfer to heavy, medium saucepan.
- Add ¾ cup sugar for each 1 cup of juice.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add grenadine.
- Cook about 8 minutes longer.
- Check the jelly this point.
- Drop 1 tblsp of jelly onto a chilled saucer and put in freezer.
- If it wrinkles when pushed after 2 minutes of cooling, then it is done.
- Skim off foam from surface of jelly.
- Spoon jelly into hot, sterilized jars and wipe rim clean.
- Seal tightly.
- Refrigerate up to 3 months.