Recipe by ~Leslie~
A delicious dessert originating in Australia. This is both sweet and tangy. Sure to impress, hope you enjoy!
Top Review by lazyme
Fantastic! I've only had poached pears once before, but this recipe has now made them one of my all time favorites. The kitchen smelled so good while these were cooking and the taste was wonderful. Thanks for a great keeper, Leslie. Made for ZWT8 - Australia.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 4 -5 firm pears, peeled with stalks attached
- 1 cup fresh whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water, red wine, lemon juice, sugar and spices in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Place the pears in an ovenproof dish and pour the syrup over them.
- Poach at 150°C (300°F) for 20 - 25 minutes or until tender.
- Pour a small amount of the syrup in the bottom of dessert dishes and place the pears on top.
- Serve with whipped cream.