Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious dessert originating in Australia. This is both sweet and tangy. Sure to impress, hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 4 -5 firm pears, peeled with stalks attached
- 1 cup fresh whipped cream
- Combine the water, red wine, lemon juice, sugar and spices in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Place the pears in an ovenproof dish and pour the syrup over them.
- Poach at 150°C (300°F) for 20 - 25 minutes or until tender.
- Pour a small amount of the syrup in the bottom of dessert dishes and place the pears on top.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Fantastic! I've only had poached pears once before, but this recipe has now made them one of my all time favorites. The kitchen smelled so good while these were cooking and the taste was wonderful. Thanks for a great keeper, Leslie. Made for ZWT8 - Australia.
We made this last night for my friend's birthday dessert. It was really good. Since one of my friends is gluten-free, desserts can be kind of tricky. This was elegant and hit the spot and was really good with vanilla bean ice cream. Thanks!
So delicious! I just wish I hadn't waited so long to try this recipe. The only change I made was to use ground all spice instead of whole. I served them chilled over vanilla bean ice cream. We can't wait to have these again. Thanks for this delicious recipe.