Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I saw this on the "good morning" show by Adam. It looked so delicious I had to try it immediately, I wasn't disappointed and neither will you be. I think this is easily a year round meal, easily enjoyed on the deck in the sun or cozied up next to the fire in the depths of winter.
- 1 kg lean pork, belly trimmed with bones removed
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1 whole fresh chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 lime, zest of
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place the pork belly in a flat ovenproof dish and cover with Hot water. Season with salt and pepper. Place on the BBQ (or stove) and bring to the boil. Add all of the above ingredients and mix thoroughly and continue to poach for 1/2 hour. Remove from the liquid and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the liquid in a pan and reduce very quickly until a sticky glaze.
- BBQ (or grill) the Pork Belly slowly until cooked and a lovely golden brown, when almost done start to baste the belly with the sticky glaze to finish it off.
This was a nice pork belly dish. We loved the flavours. My only change would be to cook it at a very low temperature over night, as it came out a bit tough. Thanks for posting Phil!