1 hr 15 mins
From Crazy Good Italian by Mike Isabella. This recipe calls for making a garlic infused olive oil ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup garlic oil (recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aleppo pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb roasted salted pistachios (in the shell)
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1Make the Garlic Oil: Heat the olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring to make sure the garlic cloves are coated in oil. Lower the heat to keep warm for an additional 35–40 minutes, moving the garlic around the pan every so often to prevent burning.
- 2Let the oil and garlic cool to room temperature. Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 30 days. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- 3Do not discard the garlic cloves. They are just like roasted garlic and can be used in recipes or spread on toast.
- 4Make the Pistachios: Preheat the oven to 400°F Blend the Garlic Oil, oregano, and rosemary in a blender on high speed for 2–3 minutes, until the herbs are fully incorporated. Toast the fennel, coriander, and caraway seeds in a sauté pan over medium heat for 4–5 minutes, shaking the pan often to prevent burning.
- 5Transfer the seeds to a spice grinder or a mini food processor, add the chili flakes, and grind to a fine powder.
- 6In a mixing bowl, combine the ground seed mixture, sugar, Aleppo pepper, paprika, and salt.
- 7Place the pistachios in a roasting pan. Combine the pistachios with the blended oil mixture, add the spice blend, and stir until evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Makes approximately 2 cups. Can be stored at room temperature for three days.
Browse Our Top Nuts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Pistachios
Serving Size: 1 (834 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2782.6
- Calories from Fat 2389
- Total Fat 265.5 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 455.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.4 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 47.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: