Recipe by JeriBinNC
Use this as a side dish, or use it as a dessert or appetizer with a dip made of sour cream with nutmeg and coconut flakes.
Top Review by dlyon
Absolutely fantastic. I doubled the recipe and added 4 cans of pineapple. Only used juice from 2 cans along with doubling the other ingredients. We had a crowd. They were SUPER and I will definitely make these again. I chose to use the red food coloring and it gave the pineapple a slight tinge of red. PERFECT! Thanks!
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice or 1 whole allspice berry
- red food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside and pour juice into saucepan. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and spices to pineapple juice.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, add red food coloring to tint a delicate pink.
- Pour hot syrup over pineapple. Cover and let it cool, then chill for several hours.
- Serve as is or with dip.