Recipe by Rita~
Here you are a canned Eastern European recipe for you to savor. Red cabbage made to last for months on end.... There are endless recipes and I went and added to them. I used home grown red cabbage, raspberry vinegar, red wine vinegar, apples and red onions. Yes of course I added spices.
Top Review by Bergy
I was given a jar of this Red Cabage recipe and I was saving it until now, Christmas - It was okay but there was something missing - I just can't put my finger on it. I thought perhaps a bit of brown sugar or a bit more hot spice - I am just not sure. I loved trying it and really appreciate getting it and feel very bad not rating it higher but I have to be honest.
- 3 heads red cabbage, 10-12 pounds cored and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup salt, separated
- 2 red onions, peeled, halved, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 allspice
- 1⁄4 cup juniper berries
- 1⁄4 cup mixed peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup celery seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 17 ounces raspberry vinegar
- 47 ounces red wine vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds
- 1⁄8 cup ground mace
- 1 tart apple, peeled cored and shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stainless steel pot layer cabbage and 1/3 cup salt. Cover and let sit in a cool spot for 24 hours.
- After 18 hours of cabbage sitting layer onions and remaining salt in a separate glass or stainless bowl cover with cold water to cover and let sit in a cool spot.
- Transfer cabbage to a colander a bit at a time to drain and rinse under cold running water.
- OK now you can place on paper lined trays to dry for about 6 hours. Or go ahead and let sun dry for 3 hours on paper towel line trays.
- Prepare canners, jars and lids.
- Prepare the spice bag by placing in a cheese cloth place allspice, juniper, peppercorns, celery seed, bay leaves, and cinnamon pieces tie to enclose.
- In a large stainless steel pan combine vinegars, sugar, mustard seed, mace, and spice bag. bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and gentle boil for 5 minutes. Rinse onions under cold running water add apple and onions to vinegar mixture. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Discard spice bag.
- Remove onions and apples place in a very large pot or bowl with cabbage tossing to mix all together.
- DON`T discard the liquid. Keep it heated.
- Packed the mixed veggies into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Ladle hot vinegar mixture in cabbage filled jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims and place lids and screw tops to finger tightness.
- Place jars in a canner covering with boiling water by at least 1 inch. Bring back to a boil covered for 20 minutes. Remove lid and turn off flame let sit for 5 more minutes. Remove and jars and let cool in a draft free spot to cool.
- Remove air bubbles.