Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
These pears need to be stored for at least three weeks before using, and can keep for up to six months. Note: Cooking time does not include the 12 hours the pickle needs to be set aside.
- 675 g white sugar
- 600 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 20 cloves
- 12 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 mace blade
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 kg small & firm pear, peeled
- Place all the ingredients, except pears, in a large, heavy-based pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil.
- Put pears in an earthenware bowl and pour boiled liquid over. Cover and leave over-night.
- Strain off the liquid and boil for 10 - 15 minutes, to reduce the volume to about 425 ml.
- Pour back over fruit and set aside for 12 hours.
- Bring fruit and liquid to boil and cook for one minute.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon and pack into clean, hot and dry preserving jars.
- Bring syrup back to boil and pour over pears.
- Seal jars immediately and allow to cool.