Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Great to nibble on with a glass of Champagne over the holidays! From Bon Appetit.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder (a blend of ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and ginger, available in the spice section of)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 2 large baking sheets.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, salt and spices; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add nuts to sugar mixture and cook until syrup thickly coats nuts, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer nuts to prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until golden, about 5-10 minutes.
- Cool (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature).
Well I want to give this a 5 star! The pecans were gobbled down with gusto. I could not enjoy them as i have a slight allergy to anise but I go along with the majority - they exclaimed 5 star all the way. So thanks, I would have loved to enjoy them but the headache would not be worth it.. I didn't see the Chinese 5 spice beore I chose to review it. Bev my guests thank you profusely and have said "Play it again Bergy"!
Very good, nice combination of spices. Fairly easy to make, but keep an eye on it when it's baking, it goes from toasted to burned very quickly.
Excellent flavor. Yummy! will make this often. Easy to make.