Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From my Better Homes & Gardens "New Cook Book" (10th ed., published in 1989!) Found this today while looking for a good, simple recipe that my almost-5-yr old daughter could help me with. It's great for that reason -- extremely quick and easy -- but it also tastes really good, especially the topping!! Nice and moist and not too sweet.
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 0.59 ml nutmeg (or allspice)
- 158.51 ml milk
- 59.14 ml margarine, softened (or butter)
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar
- 29.58 ml margarine, softened (or butter)
- 14.79 ml milk
- 118.29 ml flaked coconut
- 59.14 ml chopped nuts (optional)
- For cake: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg. Add milk, margarine, egg, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x8" METAL pan (or 8-1/2" or 9" round pan) and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.
- For topping: In a bowl, beat sugar and margarine till combined. Stir in milk, coconut, and nuts (if using.).
- Spread over WARM cake in pan and broil about 4" from heat for 2-4 minutes, or until crispy and golden.