Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
From my Better Homes & Gardens "New Cook Book" (10th ed., published in 1989!) Found this today while looking for a good, simple recipe that my almost-5-yr old daughter could help me with. It's great for that reason -- extremely quick and easy -- but it also tastes really good, especially the topping!! Nice and moist and not too sweet.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (or allspice)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened (or butter)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened (or butter)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg. Add milk, margarine, egg, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x8" METAL pan (or 8-1/2" or 9" round pan) and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.
- For topping: In a bowl, beat sugar and margarine till combined. Stir in milk, coconut, and nuts (if using.).
- Spread over WARM cake in pan and broil about 4" from heat for 2-4 minutes, or until crispy and golden.