Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Submitted in reply to a request. From the "Joy of Cooking"
- 3 lbs pears, washed peeled,and cored
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 6 cinnamon sticks, 3 inch long
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons whole ginger
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- Cook pears in water until they begin to soften.
- Set aside.
- Tie in a cloth bag: cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
- Simmer for 5 minutes spice bag, sugar and wine vinegar.
- Add the partially tenderized pears and the liquid in which they were cooking.
- Simmer with vinegar syrup 3 minutes.
- Discard spice bag.
- Pack fruit into sterile jars and cover with hot syrup.
- Seal jars and process in boiling water bath 15 minutes for pints.