Prep 73 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Take these as a hostess gift during the holidays. They are served as a condiment or a relish like you would applesauce. Prep time includes 3 days stand time.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 10 large ripe bartlett pears
- Combine all ingredients except pears in a large stainless steal or enameled coated pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel pears thinly.
- slice in half lengthwise leaving stem on one half.
- Remove core with a sharp paring knife.
- Gently place pears in the pot of warm liquid.
- Cover and poach for 30 minutes.
- If pears rise above liquid, gently stir them back down to evenly flavor.
- When tender, allow to cool in the liquid.
- Place pears, with their liquid, cloves and cinnamon sticks in well washed jars.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Allow to stand a few days before serving.
These very fresh and tasty pears made an excellent dessert. Thank you for the recipe.
Karen, you got another keeper recipe up here! We enjoyed this. We gave it to a family friend last week and this evening they came back with great words of Thanks to us. Thanks, Karen, Thank u so much for the recipe.