Recipe by papergoddess
The name says it all.
Top Review by Mhauck
This jam tasted great! It was one more way to use up my pears. I didn't change the recipe too much - I only added 4 cups sugar, instead of 5. I used the juice of one lemon instead of peeling and chopping it - that's just too much work. I also didn't want any seeds in my jam. A correction for the recipe - it yeilds about 8 half-pints (jelly jars), not 8 pints.
- 3 lbs firm bartlett pears or 3 lbs kiefer pears or 3 lbs seckel pears
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 4 -5 cups sugar
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 inch gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core pears; peel and seed lemon and orange.
- Put fruit though a grinder or food processor; save juices.
- In a kettle or large saucepan, combine pulp and juice with sugar and pineapple.
- Tie cloves, cinnamon, and ginger in cheesecloth; add to pot.
- Stir the mixture while heating.
- Simmer about 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag and ladle into hot sterilized jars.
- Process pints in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- NOTE: Since it is hard to gauge the acidity of pears, taste the jam as it cooks and add sugar or lemon juice as needed.