Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The name says it all.
- 3 lbs firm bartlett pears or 3 lbs kiefer pears or 3 lbs seckel pears
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 4 -5 cups sugar
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 inch gingerroot
- Peel and core pears; peel and seed lemon and orange.
- Put fruit though a grinder or food processor; save juices.
- In a kettle or large saucepan, combine pulp and juice with sugar and pineapple.
- Tie cloves, cinnamon, and ginger in cheesecloth; add to pot.
- Stir the mixture while heating.
- Simmer about 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag and ladle into hot sterilized jars.
- Process pints in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- NOTE: Since it is hard to gauge the acidity of pears, taste the jam as it cooks and add sugar or lemon juice as needed.
This jam tasted great! It was one more way to use up my pears. I didn't change the recipe too much - I only added 4 cups sugar, instead of 5. I used the juice of one lemon instead of peeling and chopping it - that's just too much work. I also didn't want any seeds in my jam. A correction for the recipe - it yeilds about 8 half-pints (jelly jars), not 8 pints.