Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From my mom's canning recipe collection. I am hopeful my pear trees will yield big time this year. Adapted from Southern Living.
Top Review by JanetB-KY
Just got finished making this for Christmas gifts. I made the recipe in the quantities of 1.5 (12 cups fruit etc). I also added a teaspoon of Ginger and about a half teaspoon of Nutmeg with the other spices as well as a Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract and a 1/2 teaspoon of Almond Extract. This Jam is awesome. Sweet but not cloyingly so with a very rich taste that smacks of Pears first, spice second. Making the recipe as I did, I got 6 half pints with about an extra 1/2 cup.
- 8 cups peeled finely chopped ripe pears (about 5 1/2 lb.)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more according to your taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all the ingredients to a dutch oven.
- Bring mixture to a boil and stir constantly.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 2 hours or until thickened.
- Skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Pour immediately into hot sterilized jars, filling to about 1/4 inch from the top.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims.
- Cover quickly with metal lids and screw on bands.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.