Recipe by Elmotoo
The October entry of my 2005 calendar. How deeeeeelicious!!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
A GREAT COBBLER, THIS! We really enjoyed the pairing of these 2 fruits & won't have changed a thing throughout the entire recipe! Took this to a potluck, so it actually served 12 very nicely, & everyone seemed to want the recipe ~ Thanks for sharing it with us! [Made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 19]
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chilled butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 4 medium bosc pears, peeled, cored & sliced lengthwise (1/4-inch thick)
- 3 1⁄2 cups cranberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar, for dusting
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For pastry: In medium bowl, combine flour & salt; add chilled butter & shortening. with pastry blender, combine until mixture resembles cornmeal. Sprinkle with ice water. Toss lightly with a fork until dough holds together when pinched. Flatten dough to a round; wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: In large bowl, combine pear slices & cranberries. Sprinkle with 1 1/4c sugar, whole wheat flour, allspice & cardamom; mix thoroughly. Spread fruit mixture into a 13x9x2" pan; dot w/1TB butter. Heat oven to 375°F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to about 1/8" thick, making it 1" larger than the rim of the pan. Place pastry over fruit. Crimp border around rim. Cut 3 2" slits in pastry. Dust w/1tsp sugar. Bake 45 minutes until browned & fruit is bubbling. Cool 15-20 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.