Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 6 lbs pears, peeled cored and chopped (about 16 large) (ripe)
- 3 cups apple juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks, (3-inch) broken into pieces
- 2 slices fresh gingerroot, 1 oz
- 12 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 cups sugar
- Combine pears and apple juice in a large Dutch oven.
- Tie broken cinnamon spices, gingerroot, allspice and cloves in a piece of cheese cloth; add to pear mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until pears are tender.
- Drain pears, and discard spice bag.
- Mash pears or process in food processor until smooth.
- Return pear puree to Dutch oven, and add sugar.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and quickly pour hot pear mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
I had never made pear or apple butter before and this saved me when my brother showed up on my doorstep with 40lbs of fresh pears!!! It was delicious! A bit heavy on the sweet so next time I will use maybe 1/2 the sugar or no sugar, as I tend to use over-ripe fruit just for the natural sweet! It helped a ton to have access to a gas burner for this recipe! If your kitchen doesn't have gas think about your gas BBQ, worked wonders for us!! Thanks for posting this!
GREAT recipe. Didn't have quite enough pears so I used 6 apples. Also I added 1/4 tsp of orange peel. I only used 1.5 cups sugar. I coulod have cooked it down a little longer to make it thinner but the flavor is incredible