Recipe by Satisfied Kris
I serve this at room temperature as a side dish for ham. Any leftovers are eaten (cold) with cottage cheese or by themselves. The recipe can be easily doubled. I don't remember the name of the cookbook it came from, but it was replicating dishes from colonial America. (Did canned peaches existed at that time?) :) Don't let the vinegar throw you, the flavors blend smoothly.
- 1 (29 ounce) can peaches in heavy syrup
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inch)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain peaches, reserve syrup.
- Combine syrup, cloves, cinnamon stick, sugar and vinegar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add peach halves and cool completely.
- Refridgerate in airtight container overnight.
- Note: Flavor becomes stronger when stored several days.