Recipe by bert
This cake can be made the day before and wrapped, towel and all, in foil or plastic wrap. After filling, be sure to refrigerate because of the whipping cream. This dessert is surprisingly easy to make and delicious!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 peaches
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- sweetened whipped cream
- peach slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 15x10x 1-inch jelly roll pan with foil or parchment paper; grease.
- In small mixer bowl, beat eggs until very thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in brown sugar.
- Turn mixer to low and blend in water and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, beating just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into pan, spreading batter into corners.
- Bake at 375 for 12- 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Loosen cake around edges of pan.
- Mix icing sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkel over top of cake.
- Cover cake with clean tea towel and cookie sheet; invert and carefully remove jelly roll and foil.
- Trim any crusty edges.
- While hot, roll cake and towel up, starting from narrow end.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Filling: When ready to serve, peel and chop peaches.
- Whip cream; fold in peaches and icing sugar.
- Unroll cake and spread with peaches and cream mixture.
- Roll up.
- Garnish with additional whipping cream and sliced peaches.
- Well drained canned peaches could be used instead of fresh peaches.