Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This warming vegetarian soup makes a great appetizer or a hearty lunch with homemade bread.
Make and share this Spiced Parsnip Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 6 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for a few mins to soften. Throw in the garlic and ginger, cook for 1 min more, then add the parsnips and spices.
- Cook for a few mins until fragrant. Pour over the stock and gently simmer for 30 minutes Add most of the cream, bring to the boil, then turn off the heat.
- Blitz the soup until completely smooth in a blender or with a stick blender. The soup can now be chilled, then frozen for up to 3 months.
- Serve in bowls, drizzled with remaining cream and the olive oil, scattered with cumin seeds, sliced chili and cilantro leaves.