Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sizzling pan-seared tuna spices up this super-satisfying main dish summer salad. CuisineAtHome eRECIPES, August 20, 2009 edition.For the Cajun seasoning spices, you can use Cajun Seasoning by Pets "R" us, or Mrs Dash's Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend (I like this because it has no salt but it tends to be HOT) just don't use as much. ;)
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon leaves (I omitted these, don't like them)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (It calls for 1/2 tsp, I used 1/4 tsp)
FOR THE SALAD
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 15 ounces great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- kosher salt, to taste (I didn't use any, I felt it already had enough)
FOR THE TUNA
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used only 1/2 tsp)
- 1 lb fresh tuna, cut into 2-inch pieces
- cajun seasoning (go easy because of the salt)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Whisk together lemon juice, 1/3 cup orange juice, olive oil, mayonnaise, honey, tarragon, and salt for the salad dressing.
- Combine romaine, onion, and beans in a large bowl.
- Set dressing and salad aside until ready to serve.
- Stir together 3 tablespoons orange juice, marmalade, and salt for the tuna.
- Marinate tuna pieces in the marmalade mixture for 5 minutes.
- Drain marinade, then place tuna on a plate and season with Cajun spices.
- Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then sear tuna until brown.
- Add tomatoes and sauté, stirring occasionally, until their skins blister, 1–2 minutes.
- Add dressing to salad to taste, toss to coat, and season.
- Divide the salad evenly among 4 dinner plates.
- Top each with some of the tuna and tomatoes.
- Serve salad while tuna is warm.