Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delightful fruit dessert topping that I found on Tour Egypt. I think it would be marvelous on a simple bread pudding as well as the suggested ice cream or cake. Use your imagination :D
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin (Sultanas )
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large oranges
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, allspice and ginger.
- Simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes until syrup is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Cut peel and pith from oranges.
- Slice oranges into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Cut rounds into halves or quarters and place in medium bowl.
- Pour cooled raisins and syrup over oranges and stir gently.
- Chill 2 hours or overnight.Serve over ice cream or cake.
VERY tasty but i think it would be better if you supremed the oranges. the membrane was unappetizing. Made for NA/ME Tag November '12.