Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fresh oranges are peeled, thinly sliced crosswise, and then tossed with onions, olives and a fragrant vinaigrette made with cumin, curry, cilantro, and mint. The result is a startlingly colorful first course that is sure to jazz up any weeknight meal.
- 6 oranges (about 2 1/2 inches wide, 2 1/2 pounds total, see notes)
- 4 -6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 mild red onion, peeled and sliced (6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup finely slivered fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- about 1/2 cup black olives (Nicoise or kalamata)
- fresh mint leaves, rinsed
- fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed
SPICE BLEND (RECIPE FOLLOWS)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seeds or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄2 teaspoon mild ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- With a small, sharp knife, cut peel and white membrane from oranges. Slice the oranges crosswise 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and discard seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons vinegar with olive oil and sugar. Stir in the spice blend.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, gently mix orange slices, onions, slivered mint, and chopped cilantro. Pour in dressing and mix gently. Taste and add more salt and more vinegar if desired.
- Scatter olives, mint leaves, and cilantro leaves over the top. Spoon salad and dressing onto plates.
- SPICE BLEND: Combine 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds or ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika or mild ground chili, 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon; if using whole spices, whirl mixture in a grinder or small food processor to a powder.