Recipe by Chef Kate
This smells so good when the syrup is cooking and the taste does not disappoint. Have it alone, or with vanilla ice cream and/or spice cookies. From Chef Michael Psilakis. The cooking time is really cooling and freezing time.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup clover honey
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 star anise, whole
- 1 cardamom pod
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf, small, preferably fresh
- 2 cups orange juice, fresh squeezed, chilled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all except the orange and lemon juices in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Boil until the syrup is thick and reduced to 2 cups, about 12 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and cool the syrup.
- Strain the cool syrup and the orange and lemon juices into your ice cream maker bowl and process according to machine directions.
- Transfer to a container, cover and freeze until solid, at least six hours.