Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a lovely cake and works particularly well as a lighter alternative dessert after a big festive dinner. The beauty of this cake is that the spiced flavour comes entirely from the syrup, so you can choose how much syrup to pour over depending on preferred taste.
- 1 cup slightly stale breadcrumbs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 large orange, zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
for the syrup
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the sugar, almonds and baking powder.
- Add the oil and eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the orange and lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 8inch round cake tin, put into a cold oven and set the heat to 375F, or slightly less for a fan assisted oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin then turn out onto a plate.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup- put the 1/2 cup sugar, juices, cloves and cinnamon stick into a pan and bring gently to the boil, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Pierce holes in the cake with a toothpick while still warm and pour the syrup over it in small batches. Leave to cool and continue spooning over the syrup until it is all soaked up.
TDF! This was soooo goooood! I used parchment paper and didn't have any trouble with the cake coming out in one piece. Like Leggy Peggy, I love that the whole lemon was used up. In most cases, when a recipe calls for just a little zest, I just add it from the whole lemon. Love the taste of lemon! Thnx for sharing your recipe, Shuzbud. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds on ZWT 6.
This cake tastes wonderful but I wasn't quite sure when to take it out of the pan. I think I made the mistake of adding the syrup while it was still in the pan and then tried to remove it. Some of it stuck so It didn't look very pretty. Next time I will either leave it in the pan to serve, or remove it from the pan, then add the syrup. I might also use a parchment circle to keep it from sticking. The texture was really nice, kind of custardy from the eggs but with a heavier texture coming from the ground almonds. Even though there was no butter, it kind of had a nice buttery taste! Made for ZWT6 by an Unruly Under the INfluence. ZINGO
This creates a totally yummy cake. Made exactly as written. Loved the spice influence. I especially appreciate the fact that both the zest and the juice get used in this recipe. In future, I might cut back to 1/3 cup of sugar in the syrup. So delicious. Thanks for posting.