1/3 Photos of Spiced Orange and Almond Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This is a lovely cake and works particularly well as a lighter alternative dessert after a big festive dinner. The beauty of this cake is that the spiced flavour comes entirely from the syrup, so you can choose how much syrup to pour over depending on preferred taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup slightly stale breadcrumbs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 large orange, zest of, finely grated
- 1/2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
for the syrup
- 1Mix the breadcrumbs with the sugar, almonds and baking powder.
- 2Add the oil and eggs and beat well.
- 3Stir in the orange and lemon zest.
- 4Pour the mixture into a greased 8inch round cake tin, put into a cold oven and set the heat to 375F, or slightly less for a fan assisted oven.
- 5Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin then turn out onto a plate.
- 6While the cake is baking, make the syrup- put the 1/2 cup sugar, juices, cloves and cinnamon stick into a pan and bring gently to the boil, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
- 7Pierce holes in the cake with a toothpick while still warm and pour the syrup over it in small batches. Leave to cool and continue spooning over the syrup until it is all soaked up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Orange and Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 654.0
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 141.0 mg
- Sodium 269.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of
lemons, zest of