I've been making this Mexican-East Indian flavored coffee for years and the thought never occurred to me of posting the recipe until recently. To "Chai-ify" the coffee, add 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. I use our Bialetti stainless steel stove-top espresso coffee maker from Italy to prepare this. Feel free to substitute ground spices for the whole.
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly ground coffee beans (full-bodied such as Sumatra, Espresso Roast, etc.)
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 2 -3 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 inch piece vanilla pod, split lengthwise or 1⁄16 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2 -3 whole black peppercorns (optional) or 1⁄16 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 2 -3 whole allspice
- 1⁄16 teaspoon anise seed
- NOTE: the amount of ground coffee indicated is estimated. Adjust amount according to the type of coffee maker you use. In fact, all ingredient amounts are estimated.
- Place the ground coffee in the coffee maker/basket. Fill the coffee maker with water. Please try to use filtered water if possible.
- Add the spices.
- Brew coffee.
- Sit back and enjoy!
- Serving suggestion: we like our coffee with heavy cream (aka whipping cream), a little bit of unrefined cane sugar (Sucanat) or agave nectar to sweeten.