Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish comes from India. The generous use of onions in this version makes it a bit different from other okra recipes. This recipe comes from “The World of Spice” and is posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
- 1 lb okra
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 onions, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the okra and dry it completely in kitchen paper; top and tail okra and cut into slices 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a lidded frying pan, add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds until they start to pop; add the onions and fry until golden.
- Add the okra, turmeric, chilli powder and salt, mix well together and put the lid on the pan so that the mixture can cooks in its own steam.
- Simmer the ingredients for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.